With these tools one can get information about (mkvinfo) Matroska files, extract tracks/data from (mkvextract) Matroska files and create (mkvmerge) Matroska files from other media files. Matroska is a new multimedia file format aiming to become THE new container format for the future. You can find more information about it and its underlying technology, the Extensible Binary Meta Language (EBML), at https://www.matroska.org/
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: AVI reader: added support for reading the video aspect ratio from the video properties header (vprp chunk) if present and setting the display dimensions accordingly. Implements #2993.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: for h.264/AVC tracks that don’t have an AVCConfigurationBox (avcC atom) in their sample description (stsd) atom or whose avcC atom contains no content mkvmerge will now re-derive the AVCConfigurationBox from the bitstream. Implements #2995.
- mkvextract: mkvextract will now check if any of the destination file names is the same as the source file name and abort with an error if that’s the case. Implements #3001.
- MKVToolNix GUI: when querying the user for a file name for saving things (e.g. multiplexer settings or an attachment in the header editor), the automatically suggested file name will now be based on the situation-specific file names (e.g. the destination file name for multiplexer settings or the attachment’s name when saving an attachment in the header editor) instead of the directory’s name. Implements #3012.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when deriving track languages from file names the GUI will now select the right-most match instead of the left-most one. For example, “La.vie.en.rose.(fr).srt” will now be detected as French (fr) instead of English (en). Implements #3013.
- MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: the items in the “pre-defined …” lists can now be renamed by double-clicking with the mouse or pressing the F2 key.
- Windows installer: the bluray_dump command-line utility will be installed into the tools sub-directory. bluray_dump can read & dump certain file types used on Blu-rays: .mpls playlists, .clpi clip information databases, .bdmv index files, bdmt_….xml disc library databases and tnmt_….xml track & chapter name databases.
- mkvmerge: stretching chapter timestamps with –chapter-sync now works correctly with floating point values including fractions of floating point numbers (e.g. 12.3/45.67). The tooltips in the GUI have been adjusted accordingly. Fixes #3002.
- mkvmerge: MPEG 1/2 video handling: the “default duration” header field was often half the value it actually should be, resulting in all video frames having an explicit block duration with the correct value. This has been fixed with a patch by Tom Yan.
- mkvmerge: MPEG 1/2 video handling: the data stored in Codec private and Codec state doesn’t contain extensions other than sequence & sequencea display extensions anymore. Fix by Tom Yan.
- mkvmerge: tag handling: when remuxing a Matroska file with the –no-track-tags, existing SOURCE_ID track tags are now skipped, too.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the drop-down boxes with pre-defined track names now follow the order set in the preferences instead of sorting the entries alphabetically. Fixes #2999.