One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume…
SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.
Play all media formats
SMPlayer supports the most known formats and codecs: avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264… you can play all of them, thanks to its built-in codecs. You don’t need to find and install third party codecs. See a list of all supported formats
Support for Youtube
SMPlayer can play Youtube videos and it also includes a handy tool which allows to search for Youtube videos.
SMPlayer comes with several skins and icon themes, so you can easily change the look of the player.
SMPlayer can search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
SMPlayer includes many advanced features like video and audio filters, change of the playback speed, adjustment of audio and subtitles delay, video equalizer… and many more.
In your own language
SMPlayer is available in more than 30 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese…
SMPlayer is available for Windows and Linux. SMPlayer is compatible with Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8.
Free and open source
SMPlayer is free and open source. SMPlayer is under the GPL license.
- The internal YouTube code has been removed. Now SMPlayer uses an external application to get the video URLs.
- The shuffle option in the playlist does shuffle the items of the playlist.
- Possibility to enter the opensubtitles.org credentials, which prevents a login error.
- Now it’s possible to search for shortcuts in Preferences -> Keyboard.
- Support for mpv 0.32.
- Fix for YouTube.
SMPlayer uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine, which is one of the best players in the world.
Supported Input Formats
- (S)VCD (Super Video CD)
- CDRwin’s .bin image file
- DVD, including encrypted DVD
- MPEG-1/2 (ES/PS/PES/VOB)
- AVI file format
- ASF/WMV/WMA format
- QT/MOV/MP4 format
- RealAudio/RealVideo format
- Ogg/OGM files
- NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video)
- VIVO format
- FLI format
- NuppelVideo format
- yuv4mpeg format
- FILM (.cpk) format
- RoQ format
- PVA format
- streaming via HTTP/FTP, RTP/RTSP, MMS/MMST, MPST, SDP
- TV grabbing
Supported Video and Audio Codecs most important video codecs:
- MPEG-1 (VCD) and MPEG-2 (SVCD/DVD/DVB) video
- MPEG-4 ASP in all variants including DivX ;-), OpenDivX (DivX4), DivX 5 (Pro), Xvid
- MPEG-4 AVC aka H.264
- Windows Media Video 7/8 (WMV1/2)
- Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3) (using x86 DLL)
- RealVideo 1.0, 2.0 (G2)
- RealVideo 3.0 (RP8), 4.0 (RP9) (using Real libraries)
- Sorenson v1/v3 (SVQ1/SVQ3), Cinepak, RPZA and other QuickTime codecs
- DV video
- Intel Indeo3 (3.1, 3.2)
- Intel Indeo 4.1 and 5.0 (using x86 DLL or XAnim codecs)
- VIVO 1.0, 2.0, I263 and other H.263(+) variants (using x86 DLL)
- MJPEG, AVID, VCR2, ASV2 and other hardware formats
- various old simple RLE-like formats
Most important audio codecs:
- MPEG layer 1, 2, and 3 (MP3) audio
- AC3/A52, E-AC3, DTS (Dolby Digital) audio (software or SP/DIF)
- AAC (MPEG-4 audio)
- WMA (DivX Audio) v1, v2
- WMA 9 (WMAv3), Voxware audio, ACELP.net etc (using x86 DLLs)
- RealAudio: COOK, SIPRO, ATRAC3 (using Real libraries)
- RealAudio: DNET and older codecs
- QuickTime: Qclp, Q-Design QDMC/QDM2, MACE 3/6 (using QT libraries), ALAC
- Ogg Vorbis audio
- VIVO audio (g723, Vivo Siren) (using x86 DLL)
- alaw/ulaw, (ms)gsm, pcm, *adpcm and other simple old audio formats