Warzone 2100 is a real-time strategy game, originally developed by Pumpkin Studios and published by Eidos Interactive, now developed by the Warzone 2100 Project. Compared to other real-time strategy games, it has a greater focus on artillery, radar, and counter-battery technologies, more frequent in-game cinematic updates as game play progresses, a massive research tree, as well as a vehicle design system.
In the late 21st century, NASDA (the North American Strategic Defense Agency) developed and deployed a massive missile defense system, including a network of nuclear-equipped satellites and ground-based launch sites. However, during a routine maintenance check, something went terribly wrong…
Outside of the story, Warzone 2100 only has a single faction. This limits some of the variety that can be expected from real-time strategy games, although the single faction is very complex. Essentially, Warzone 2100 plays much like Earth 2150 with 3D units and terrain, customizable vehicles, a lack of traditional infantry, use of “research” to acquire new technologies, and the differentiation of vehicles types.
Compared to other RTS’s, Warzone 2100 has:
- A unit design system that lets players choose bodies, propulsions, and weapons.
- A greater emphasis on sensors and radar: Basic sensors detect units and can co-ordinate ground attacks. Counter-battery (CB) sensors detect enemy artillery batteries and coordinate artillery strikes against enemy artillery. VTOL sensors and VTOL CB sensors coordinate VTOL attacks. Radar detectors detect enemy sensors.
- A greater emphasis on artillery: With the assistance of sensors, late game artillery can fire from huge distances.
- A massive technology tree, with small incremental advancements over existing technologies being required for later technologies.
- Fix: General improvements to address UI crashes and issues (commit:d7288f4c2f0c130889db4d7ea4e8229d920dc3f7, commit:5639a187f069677476ce2eb2af532d70368faf58, commit:484ebc432fdfb91f1ab0619ba46be2170f7a6e9c, commit:fe0ed076f92c6eb44aa483849eaf8046b22240cd, #1679, #1686, #1689, #1695)
- Fix: Fix animation system not letting scavengers out of the firing animation (commit:319ef65c7acd01111ce9d83d6b394b10343be09a, #1690)
- Fix: Shooting through gates after they lower (commit:aedce4ceb6059926d9bfa19fd29c522e3c81b16b, #1692)
- Fix: Lock UI and do not accept option changes over the network when everybody is ready (too many commits, #1701)
- Change: Update QuickJS (too many commits, #1682)
- Change: Update Cobra AI (commit:a216a60a03ef8f76817dd31f287a86801e71203f, commit:c6a22faa9253758ca489f68cbc0233b3e8e30d90, #1697, #1699)
- Change: Numerous translation updates (commit:f04c085d018b074d8268ea57d7eb04485c34d4dc, #1705)